1. Develop a positive attitude - It's been said many times before, but somehow the majority of the population is not hearing it. A poor attitude does not produce sales. Be truly positive. Don't just say "I'm a positive person", adopt a real attitude of positive thinking even in the face of adversity. Surround yourself with positive thinkers. Consider that you must become positive or those positive people won't want you around them for very long. People listen to positive people with "can do" attitudes. They are less likely to listen to whiners and complainers.
2. Become your most "priceless possession." Brand yourself. Actors do it; so should you. Let all of your actions point to you as the best possession anyone can be exposed to. Develop confidence in yourself. Know that you bring sales skills and knowledge that no one else does. If you believe it, the confidence will be evident.
3. Know and believe in your products or services. If the products or services are new to you, learn all you can about them and continue learning your product as well as your craft. You can't sell what you don't know or believe in. If you're not "buying it" why should anyone else?
4. Put your sales goals on paper. Let's be frank here. Sales is about making your dreams for your life come true. How much do you want to earn to make your dreams and aspirations a reality? Break your goals down into manageable monthly , weekly and daily goals that all add up to your yearly goal. Attach tasks to those goals and stick to them, adjusting them as you need to.
5. Presentations are important. Make yours the best they can be. Tweak your presentations often using the FABs ( Features, Advantages and Benefits)(more on those at another time). Have your 30 second speech about your product or services ready for those you meet, either by chance or at networking events.
6. Prospecting is purposeful. Make it your mission to find prospects and to determine their needs. Without sales prospects, there can be no sales.
7. Your goal is a satisfied customer with a closed sale. Don't be afraid to ask for the business or the sale. If you don't ask, it may never happen and you will not reach your ultimate goal - living your dreams.
Remember, there are needs out there waiting to be filled. That's where you come in with your sales skills. So, go ahead, take on this mission.
Your possibilities are truly endless!
Betty Scott is an award winning Sales Coach and Trainer and founder of SalesCoach2. Betty has helped sales executives and business owners to close more sales. For more information, contact her at 646-250-8103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.